Microcell™ is a novel extrusion-based PEM fuel cell technology that operates on a micro-tubular platform. Microcell technology utilizes an extrusion process in which the components for making a single cell, i.e. the electrocatalyst of cathode and anode, the membrane electrolyte, and the current collectors are all extruded as one fiber, ranging in size from a few hundred to several thousand microns.
Microcell scale-up follows the fractal concept where a simple geometry is repeated to a larger and larger building block. The simple repeating unit is a micro-tubular fuel cell with a diameter of about 900 microns and a length of about one foot. Building to the fourth order of repetition of the fractal concept, i.e. single cell to unicell to core to module, Microcell can deliver modular fuel cells capable of 3-5 kW as pre-packaged systems and 100 kW and higher power plants, by simple addition of modular tubes that operate independently.
Microcell technology offers several unique features including:
- Microcells are produced by an automated extrusion process which operates at high production rates significantly lowering production costs.
Ease of Repair, Serviceability
- Individual Microcell Unicells are inserted into a fuel cell module
- Individual Unicells can be replaced without replacing the entire module
- Field repairable
- Increased reliability of operation and up-time
- Inherent capability of monitoring individual cell performance for scheduled maintenance
High Thermal Efficiency
- Integrated, all inclusive, advanced thermal recovery system
- High efficiency Combined Heat and Power (CHP) system with direct hydrogen fuel